EDITOR’S NOTE: Please check with your club or organization to ensure that meetings, excursions and courses are canceled due to inclement weather or any other reason. 592-8358 or [email protected].
• Mecosta County Democratic Party Ice Cream Parlors: 5:00 p.m. Thursday, August 19 at Northend Riverside Park, Trestle Bend Drive, Big Rapids. Games, ice cream and more! FREE and open to the community. Contact: [email protected].
• Artworks Brown Bag Series – Dr. Fred Heck: Friday, August 20, from noon to 1 p.m. at Artworks, 106 Michigan Ave., Big Rapids. Also with Zoom at tinyurl.com/ArtworksBrownBagSeries. Contact: 231-796-2420
• Great American Crossroads Festival: 19.-22. August in downtown Reed City. The annual festival includes a parade, 5K, softball, and corn hole tournaments, carnival, live music, auto show, and more. Online: www.gaccreedcity.org.
• Picnic of the old settlers: 11 a.m. Saturday, August 21, at the Lake Park School Section, 9003 90th Ave., Mecosta. Annual meeting of the ancient settlers of Mecosta, Isabella and Montcalm counties.
• Bandshell summer concert series: Wednesday July 14th – Aug 7:18 pm in Hemlock Parks Bandshell, behind Big Rapids Middle School. More: facebook.com/BRparksandrec.
• Pocket Park Music Series: Friday, June 4th, September 4th, 12pm to 2pm. 3, at 125 N. Michigan Ave., in downtown Big Rapids. More: facebook.com/BigRapidsDowntownBusinessAssociation. Contact: Josh Pyles at [email protected], 231-592-4038.
• Music on the river: 6:30 p.m.-8: 30 p.m. Fridays, July 2, August 2, 27 at Bromley Park, 395 W. Main St., Mecosta. If it rains, the event will take place at the Mecosta Free Methodist Church. More: facebook.com/mecostamusicontheriver.
• Picnic exhibition at the crossing point: 7-9: 15 p.m. Fridays through August 27 at Rambadt Park Campground Bandstand, 700 N. Park St., Reed City. Rain or shine. Bring chairs, tailgate or listen to WCJB 99.3 FM. Social distancing and face covering are encouraged.
• Cedar Creek Band at the Reed City Depot: 7-9pm every second and fourth Thursday of the month through September, 200 N. Chestnut St., Reed City
• Tai Chi: Wednesdays at lunchtime in Hemlock Park. Improve muscle tone, flexibility, balance, and coordination. Newcomers welcome. brpr.org.
• Free drive-through pick-up of meals for students: Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. through August 24, at Crossroads Charter Middle / High, 215 W. Spruce St., Big Rapids. Free, seven-day breakfast and lunch supply for all children and teenagers aged 18 and under, regardless of school district, and students up to the age of 26 participating in an educational program for the mentally or physically challenged. Meal sets must be ordered every Tuesday between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. by email to [email protected]
• Mecosta Co. Genealogical Company: Open Wednesdays 5-7pm and every other Saturday 10 am-2pm, 424 N. Fourth Ave., Big Rapids, next to Recycle. Thousands of obituaries and hundreds of history and genealogy books for the Mecosta Co. area. Stop by or call Maureen Nelson at 231-250-5555 to make an appointment.
• Mecosta County Sheriff’s Force: 7:00 p.m. every second Thursday of the month in the basement training room at Mecosta County Jail, 225 S. Stewart Ave., Big Rapids. This volunteer group is always looking for more members. Call 231-250-9241 for more information
• Lords Table pantry: Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Faith Community Church, 610 Green St., Big Rapids. Everyone is welcome.
• Reed City Pantry: Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., starting September 7, at St. Philip Neri Catholic Church, 831 S. Chestnut St., Reed City.
• Morley Community Center: The center, located at 151 7th St., Morley, hosts weekly pickle balls, an open gym, garage sale, and outdoor market, in addition to a monthly ancestry course, craft evening, and blood drive. For a list of activities, visit morleycenter.org/events or call 231-856-4496.
RUNNING ARTWORKS CLASSES, EXHIBITIONS
106 N. Michigan Avenue at Big Rapids / 231-796-2420 / Artworksinbigraphids.org
• Open pottery: Tuesdays 5-8pm. Cost: $ 10 per session, $ 60 for an eight session punch card. (Additional burning fees apply. Clay can be purchased in bulk for $ 20 per 25 lbs.) Call 231-796-2420 to schedule your session.
• Exhibit – Geology rocks: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday-Saturday, July 2nd and August 2nd. 26, in the Batdorff Gallery. With photos by Steve Ross, sculptures by Autumn Bildson and drawings by Julie Tyslicky. Opening on July 15th at 5 p.m.
• Exhibit – Native American Art: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday-Saturday until August 27th in the lower gallery. From the Charmaine Lucas collection. All pieces are for sale.