The Barbados women’s team will take part in the Commonwealth Games next year, as announced by the West Indies’ representative team, Cricket West Indies (CWI).
The announcement came after the CWI board decided to postpone the T20 Blaze and Women’s Super50 Cup, which was to be the West Indian qualifying tournament for the CWG, until next year.
“After the postponement, the Barbados women’s team will be the West Indies’ representative team based on their victory in the 2020 CWI T20 Blaze tournament and in accordance with the Commonwealth Games Association tournament rules agreed by the International Cricket Council (ICC). “Said CWI in a statement.
Cricket will return to the CWG for the first time since 1998, with the women’s cricket set being introduced in Birmingham in the 2022 edition.
The decision to postpone the regional women’s tournaments was made after the ODI and T20I dates for the West Indies vs South Africa series from August 31 to September 19 had been set.
The ongoing logistical challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, which require multiple teams to be housed in one country, were also taken into account.
“… we were forced to make the decision to postpone the Women’s T20 Blaze and Women’s CG Insurance Super50 Cup for this year,” said Johnny Grave, CEO of CWI.
“We would like to congratulate the Barbados women’s team on their appointment to represent the West Indies at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
“We wish them all the best as they fight for the gold medal, and we know they will continue to make the West Indies proud.
Grave said the board has invested in several high-performance camps and international tournaments for women.