Harry Kane has announced that he will be staying at Tottenham this summer after missing a move to Manchester City.
Kane, who has three years left on his Spurs deal, had asked to leave the club in search of cutlery this summer but appears to have weakened his stance after a long summer of negotiations between City and Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to have.
In a post on Twitter, Kane said, “It was amazing to see the Spurs fans’ reception on Sunday and read some of the messages of support I’ve received over the past few weeks.
“I will stay at Tottenham this summer and focus 100% on making the team a success.”
It was amazing to see the Spurs fans welcome on Sunday and read some of the messages of support I’ve received over the past few weeks. 👏⚽
I will stay at Tottenham this summer and focus 100% on making the team a success. #COYS pic.twitter.com/uTN78tHlk1
– Harry Kane (@HKane) August 25, 2021
A goal for City all summer, Kane came off the bench in Saturday’s 1-0 win at Wolves in the Premier League in his first appearance since his late pre-season return.
However, the English captain remains firmly convinced that after Euro 2020 he should always return later than his teammates.
Spurs value Kane at more than £ 120m but wanted to keep the striker despite believing he had a gentlemanly agreement with Levy to leave the club this summer.
City made a £ 100 million offer for Kane in early June but was nowhere near an agreement with Spurs.
“It’s ready, Harry will be with us”
Spurs’ new head coach Nuno Espirito Santo was delighted with Kane’s announcement as he addressed the media ahead of the Europa Conference League play-off second leg against Pacos de Ferreira on Thursday: “Great news. Fantastic news for everyone.
“I think Harry has been working since joining us, so we appreciate that. His attitude in the training sessions has been great.
“It’s ready, Harry will be with us. He worked today and he’s an option for tomorrow. It’s fantastic news for everyone.
“We’re all very happy. He’s one of the best players in the world so we’re excited to have another option for the season ahead.”
“That draws a line under the saga”
Paul Gilmour of Sky Sports News:
“Harry Kane had positive conversations with Fabio Paratici before announcing his intention to stay at Tottenham this summer.
“Daniel Levy has been claiming all along that he would not cheaply sell a player with a three-year contract to a rival in the Premier League.
“It was slowly leaving Kane and Man City realizing that any move wasn’t going to be easy.
“Today’s developments draw the line to all parties this summer and Kane’s love for the club will ensure he has no chance of being unprofessional.
“It’s a dramatic change in sentiment after sources at Tottenham expressed their disappointment with Kane when he failed to show up at the training site on August 2nd.”
“Kane needed Man City more than they needed him”
Sky Sports News’ Kaveh Solhekol:
“You have to read between the lines. Harry Kane posted this statement that he is staying this summer. But we have to face the facts. He wanted to leave and move to Manchester City.”
“There are two reasons the move failed: Man City was unwilling to pay the asking price – it would have been over £ 150m – and Tottenham didn’t want to sell its icon. Its value to Spurs is incredible. It has three.” years remaining in his contract.
“I heard some people at Man City had doubts they should be spending this much on a player who is 28 years old and who may not have that much resale value.
“I think Harry Kane needed Manchester City more than they needed him.”
The Kane saga
- March 2020: Kane shows his frustration at not winning trophies with Tottenham and says he is ready to leave the club.
- May 17, 2021: Kane tells Daniel Levy that he wants to leave Spurs after the club failed to win a trophy or finish in the top four – based on a “gentleman’s agreement” between the two.
- May 19: The English striker appears to be saying goodbye to fans after losing 2-1 to Aston Villa.
- May 20: Kane puts the cat among the doves when, in an interview with Gary Neville, he reveals the need to “have a good, honest conversation with Levy about his future.”
- July 16: Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo says Kane is Tottenham’s player and Levy told him Kane can be “counted on”.
- Jul 19: After an initial goal drought at Euro 2020, Kane denies being distracted by Man City connections.
- July 23: Kane reportedly announces that he will be joining Man City for his brother’s wedding.
- Aug 2: Kane fails to visit the club’s training ground for pre-season testing and the club threatens him with a fine.
- August 3: News filter through the 28-year-old, who is still on vacation in the Bahamas and is due to contact the club later this week.
- Aug 6: Kane tweeted that he would never refuse to train and return to Spurs “as planned” the next day after Pep Guardiola says his club will sign him.
- Aug 7: Kane arrives at the club’s training ground and isolates after returning from vacation, also speaking to Espirito Santo for the first time.
- August 15: Kane is absent from the matchday squad and the stadium as Spurs beat Man City 1-0 on the opening weekend of the Premier League season.
- August 17th: Kane trains with his club-mates for the first time in the new season.
- Aug 19: Kane is among several key players to stay in England as the squad heads to Portugal for the Europa Conference League play-off first leg against Pacos de Ferreira.
- August 22: Kane makes his league bow 2021/22 for Spurs as a substitute in the 1-0 win at Wolves.
- August 25: Kane announced in a statement posted on Twitter that he will be staying with Spurs “this summer.”
Why didn’t Kane negotiate a release clause?
Dharmesh Sheth from Sky Sports News:
“Tottenham sent a strong message on Sunday by playing Harry Kane from the bench, which they have every right to. When they did, they almost said, ‘He’s staying with Tottenham.” They couldn’t risk Kane injured became.
“In order for Harry Kane to act as he did, he must have believed that something was in this ‘gentleman’s agreement’ so that he could leave.
“But Spurs saw it differently. It’s not on paper.
“I’ve talked to agents and one thing keeps coming up: the contract that Kane signed. Nobody made him sign a six-year contract.
“There was no release clause in this contract. Agents are surprised that Kane signed this contract with no clause and no written assurances that if something goes wrong, they will continue.”
“Everyone can go on now”
Michael Bridge from Sky Sports News:
“That’s the clarity we all wanted, even Manchester City. Both clubs can go on now, Harry Kane can go on.”
“With only six days to go before the end of the time window, it wouldn’t have been long enough for Spurs to get a replacement.
“Tottenham fans accepted by May that it was probably time for Harry Kane to move on – there was no debate about that. What they didn’t really accept was the way things were going.
“The conversations about what days he’ll return to training, where he’s on vacation, PCR tests, what Manchester City has to offer, how much he’s worth. Those were the things Spurs questioned.
“Then he’s back in training, we’ve been told over and over that Harry will respect Kane Spurs, the new head coach, and that he will be integrated into this first team. He did. He was against the Wolves on the bench and came . ” from the bank.
“At the end of the game, the Spurs supporters’ reaction – ‘He’s one of us’ – would have meant the world to him. He’s been with it since he was a kid.
“Tottenham fans know he’s a phenomenal striker and hasn’t won anything and it hurts him and the Tottenham fans. It’s time for Harry Kane to sit down and move on.”
“Playing spurs [Thursday] I didn’t think he was going to play that night in the Europa Conference League, but I think he will now because he needs to build up his playing fitness. He will get the most brilliant ovations. “
But what about January and beyond?
Dharmesh Sheth from Sky Sports News:
“January is always a very difficult month to do business. That time could be an option next summer. He would have two years left on his contract – how much will it be worth then? Tottenham will have every right to say that he then stays. ” even.”
Sky Sports News’ Kaveh Solhekol:
“In the short term this is great news for Spurs fans, but in the long term I’m not sure what will happen to him. Will he spend the rest of his career at Spurs? Will he sign? New deal? Or will we be this situation in every transfer window have again?”
City’s in-house No. 9 options
Torres came from Valencia as a winger in 2020 but has slowly adapted to a role at the City front. Now the Spanish international is likely to initially reject the central role under Guardiola if the club does not bring in late recruits.
Former Manchester United and England defender Gary Neville told Sky Sports this week that he believes Torres can fill in that offensive spearhead if needed.
The Brazilian striker would have been the more obvious man for the number nine role in the past but has spent a lot of time on the flanks lately. Brazil put Jesus on the wing, and Guardiola and the man himself both seem happy to continue that trend in City Blue.
Guardiola has already disappointed a number of applicants by confirming that 18-year-old striker Delap will not be on loan this season. The son of former Stoke midfielder Rory, Delap Junior, has excellent scoring experience from youth and U23 football and will spend the season in and around the city’s first team.
New series: The cult heroes of football – Jürgen Klinsmann
- How Spurs signed Klinsmann on a yacht in Monaco
- The master plan for the diving party: “He knew it would work”
- Spur nights & 3am burger next to the M25
- Breakups & Makeups – “He Was Alan Sugar’s Measure”
- How “the most hated man in England” made the Premier League “less closed off”
Football’s Cult Heroes is a brand new podcast series that explores the stories of the players who carried their clubs on their backs – on and off the pitch.
Told by the players, fans and journalists who were there – we examine why these players have developed such a strong bond with their fans and how they are still remembered after years.
follow Spotify or Apple So you can listen to the weekly episodes as soon as they come out.